Tex-Mex Haddock

Photobucket

I love to try out new recipes no matter if they are ones I created in my head, ones I found on-line or in a cookbook. Over the years, I have tried recipes from a lot of chefs, one who seems to match my cooking style is Rachael Ray. As a mother, you've got to appreciate the concept of a 30 Minute Meal! Rachael Ray often says that her recipes are just methods. She encourages her viewers to take her recipes and make them their own. I "Lori-ize" almost everything I cook, tailoring the recipe to my families taste. I decided to combine these two ideas and what you see here is the result. Each week I'll create a meal based on a recipe and let you know what we thought. I will give you the original recipe and let you know how I "Lori-ized" it. Hope you enjoy Tasty Tuesday!

Photobucket

This week I decided to create my own recipe.  We were having haddock for dinner and Richard wanted to do it in a tex-mex style.  I was lazy and didn't go searching the web for a recipe.  I decided to whip up my own version. 

Photobucket

I had frozen haddock in the freezer (our grocery store carries a line of frozen "fresh" fish... not like buying Mrs. Paul's kind of thing)

I seasoned the fish with chili powder, cumin, paprika, corriander, garlic powder and onion flakes. 

I let it sit in the seasoning for about 30 min before baking

Preheat the oven to 350
put the seasoned fish in a baking dish
cover with RoTel lime and cilantro mix
cover dish with tin foil
bake 12 min
uncover and bake another 5 min or until your fish is cooked through

Photobucket
IMG_1341


Photobucket



I didn't go over board on the seasoning for fear that I would over power the fish, but it could have handled more seasoning.  I also made 2 pieces of fish, but had enough tomato for 4 probably so there was a lot of tomato on the plates. 

I thought it was pretty good, but needed more seasoning for the bites that were just fish.  Richard isn't a fan of tomato so he really thought there was too much of the tomato mix.  He made a comment that the dish could have been chicken and it would taste the same. 

Photobucket
I would certainly use a heavier hand on the spices the next time and less tomatoes.  It is certainly a good concept, but a work in progress. 


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I would like that, but my hubby wouldn't like the tomato. Great idea, I like how your Loir-ized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I love to make up my own dishes too! Especially Tex-Mex!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fish person...but if that was chicken under there I might enjoy it. LOL Could you do chicken under there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't do fish either...but I think chicken is a fantastic idea! Also, maybe some cilantro? Then again, we put cilantro on most things here, afterall, it's Texas, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori, thank you so much for writing about RO*TEL. We love this recipe and think you should enter it into our recipe contest for a chance to win $2,000. For more info visit http://www.rotelacrossamerica.com

    - The RO*TEL Across America Team

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!