observations

As a teacher, I realized that a big part of my job was sitting back and just watching. As I've said before, I always viewed myself as a facilitator of the learning process than the all knowing teacher. When you look at yourself in this light you learn that in order to help the children you have to step back and let them figure things out on their own, and step in when frustration ensues. You begin to step back and see where children are in order to truly know in which direction to lead them to next. If you don't know where the children are at, then you don't know where they need to go or what they need to do to get there. When you step back and watch, listen and observe, you can figure out what's next.

I find myself doing this a lot at home. I step back and watch. I watch the interactions between Colby and Blake. I watch them learning on their own. I like to watch them think, problem solve and play. There are times when I think I need to step in and help out, and yes... sometimes I do. But, there are also times where I think I need to help, but I don't and I watch... I watch my sons figure out how to solve things on their own.

If I didn't step back and watch Blake playing on the computer, I may never have figured out that he can identify the letters of the alphabet. If I didn't step back, I wouldn't have seen Colby crawl up and over the rungs of the chair (the bottom ones). I would never have seen Blake make puzzles on his own. I would never known that Colby can pick up the balls and put them onto the ramp of this crawl and cruise.

Sometimes we assume that children can or can't do something because of the level we expect them to learn at, but when you stop assuming what they can or can't do, and let them show you what they can do you may be amazed at what they already know. You may be shocked at how they think about things. You maybe impressed at the thought process that goes on in the minds of children.
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I love just watching them learn! andis always amazed on how much they are like sponges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely at fault for stepping in sooner than needed alot of times. Think I'll sit back and watch alittle more today. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids never cease to amaze me at the things they know & have learned. I love to listen to them interact and play their puzzles and games...tie their shoes, etc. AT their young ages they learn so many new things everyday. It is all a learning process for them. It is so cool to be able to witness it all as a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I find myself taking over zipping up the jacket or buttoning the pants and I stop and realize I need to let my boys accomplish such small tasks on their own without their busy bee momma getting in their way. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good advice. I have been doing it more lately. Kids are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OKay- this weekend, I'm not doing anything- I'm just going to watch my kids and see if they figure out how to make lunch :) Just kidding! I totally agree- I think we need to watch kids to see where they are and where they need to go. I also think that we need to let kids try to solve problems instead of just do it for them. Good for you and letting your boys learn by doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Observing is often a very enlightening experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a fellow teacher, I totally agree. Your post helped remind me of that. I will step back and watch more of Ryan's happenings. I tend to be right in the middle all the time. He loves to do the balls on the crawl n cruise jungle too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to sit back too and just watch my kids. It is neat to see them from an outside perspective. Sometimes I think I am so "close" that I cannot truly "see" my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree! There is SO much stuff that I didn't know that Tate knew...until I sat back and watched him. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!