The things that don't kill you... make you stronger

Over the years I've had a lot of, lets say challenging things, happen in my life. I don't feel like getting into many of them as it would be a really longgggg post then, but let me tell you that one of the things I've always done is step back and assess how this challenge can help me become a better person. As a teacher, I found that a lot of these experiences helped me dealing with children and parents who were dealing with a variety of issues. It was helpful to be able to relate to the difficulties of their life.

The reason that I have been reflecting upon this the last few days is now having to deal with Blake's speech issues I can better understand how parents of special needs children feel. Yes, I know that Blake's speech issue is nothing compared to children who have Austism or Down's Syndrome or even a severe learning disability. But, at the same time I do know how it feels to think that people are looking at my child and wondering why. Why is he not speaking correctly? Why is that mother speaking for her child? Why is the child using sign language? What is wrong? I know how it feels to just wish your child didn't have these issues and could "perform" at the same level as everyone else. I know how it feels to wish people wouldn't assume it is more than it is.

I realize that this challenge in our lives will make us stronger. I know it will build an even stronger bond between Blake and both Richard and I. I know it will allow Blake to become even more creative and expand his knowledge base. I know that we will celebrate even more verbal victories with Blake. I know that it is helping Colby develop his verbal skills. I know that both boys are learning and growing.

As life goes on I will continue to grow and change and know that the things that don't kill me... will make me stronger!
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean completely. Being a parent has helped me be a better teacher (in some ways). Being the parent of an ill child who later had some developmental issues has made me step back and realize how hard it is for parents with children who are much sicker or much more delayed. I know God has used so much of what we've been through to teach me so very much more than I ever thought I'd know/understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that is true for most of us. I never really understood how people dealt with hard things until I became a parent. I stopped judging people and just let them be. It is a learning process for sure.

    I LOVE the new blog layout...very Memorial Day-ish...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great mommy!! Now that I am one, I realize what a better teacher I will be once I return to the classroom one day. I have already learned so much about life from Ryan. Blake is blessed to have you to deal with his issues rather than ignore them or pretend they are not there. Do you know how many parents I have dealt with that REFUSE to believe that their child has a learning disability? It's disheartening to watch the child struggle and their parents won't help them. Blake is getting the help he needs from his wonderful parents. Colby is watching this too. He will pick up on all of this from you. You're doing great Lori!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! I understand where you are coming from.

    Hope your weekend is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. Those challenges will make us stronger for sure.
    Love the new layout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for looking at the brighter side. You will be a better mommy and person through it all. And while you share with us what you go through, we'll learn and be better people too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally admire how you are handling things Lori. And I know Blake is one lucky little boy. Just think, now you'll be able to reach out to others going thru this...maybe a new chapter in your career one day when the time is right? That would such a blessing I bet. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's for sure! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Said Lori! Love your new look too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up that positive attitude. It's amazing how far an uplifting attitude can take you in challenging situations. You're doing a great job!

    I thought of you the other day. My daycare uses some signs with the kids. Jillian signed "more" for the first time the other day. That was exciting for me so I can only imagine how proud you are of Blake for all the signs and words he has been working on!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!