Chocolate covered Strawberry Cake balls

Photobucket

I love to try out new recipes no matter if they are ones I created in my head, ones I found on-line or in a cookbook. Over the years, I have tried recipes from a lot of chefs, one who seems to match my cooking style is Rachael Ray. As a mother, you've got to appreciate the concept of a 30 Minute Meal! Rachael Ray often says that her recipes are just methods. She encourages her viewers to take her recipes and make them their own. I "Lori-ize" almost everything I cook, tailoring the recipe to my families taste. I decided to combine these two ideas and what you see here is the result. Each week I'll create a meal based on a recipe and let you know what we thought. I will give you the original recipe and let you know how I "Lori-ized" it. Hope you enjoy Tasty Tuesday!

Photobucket

I heard about this recipe a while ago, but hadn't had a reason to make them.  Richard and I were going to UCF's spring football game and I always bake something to take when we tailgate, so I figured this was a prime time to try this recipe out.  The recipe is Red Velvet Cake Balls by bakerella.com.
Photobucket
As you can see from the title the first thing I did was change the flavor of the cake mix.  I'm not a huge red velvet cake fan... yes I just heard a collective gasp, but that's the way it is.  I was trying to decide what I wanted to try and chocolate covered strawberries popped into my head... who doesn't love chocolate and strawberry??

I got some help making this recipe, as there were many steps.
Colby helped with the mixing and clean up
04_16_c_01

Blake wanted to help with the baking part, but I told him he had to wait a few more years before I'd let him that close to the hot oven
04_16_bc_02

This is what they looked like after it was baked, crumbled, mixed with cream cheese frosting, and rolled into balls
balls2

Richard even got in the fun with helping dip the balls into the melted chocolate
balls3
balls_done2


Photobucket
balls_done3


Photobucket


Well these were a big hit.  Very yummy, but a LOT of work.  I'm not sure they are worth the time, but I know a few people who we tailgated with who may disagree with that thought. 

Photobucket
Would I eat them again.... absolutely!  But,would I take the time to bake a cake, crumble it up, mix it with frosting, roll it in balls, freeze the balls, coat the balls, and the freeze them again?  hmmmm not sure,.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Wow girl those look absolutely delish. I have been wanting to learn to make those cake balls. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree they are a lot of work, but most of the time so WORTH IT! for special special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!! And WOW how the boys have grown and they look like twins!!! Cute!!! I hope you all have been doing well. I miss everyone on the blog - I need to get back here soon!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. Have you seen the oreo balls? They look good too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!