What do I want to be when I grow up?

On Friday Richard and I went out to an improv comedy show and then stayed downtown in an Embassy Suites for the night. It is always nice to get away and just be a couple. We don't do it very often, so when we do it is very much appreciated.

While we were walking around by Lake Eola, we were talking about the homeless people who live and hang out near the lake. We were actually talking about what they do during the afternoon thunderstorms we have every day since there isn't much shelter for them in that area.

Somehow this conversation morphed into a conversation about me going back to work. The plan has always been that I would stay home until Colby is in kindergarten (we have full day kindergarten here). But, the problem is I have no clue what I want to do when I do go back to work. I think I want to stay in the field of education, but I'm not sure I want to go back to teaching kindergarten. Some ideas I've batted around is to become a college professor most likely at one of the community colleges around. Another idea is to work at the local children's hospital in their education department working with the children who are in for extended stays. Another idea I had was to go work at a women's shelter, many women's shelters have on site schools for the children who are there with their mothers. (hence how this conversation morphed out of the previous topic).

I just don't know what I want to do and/or what I'd be good at and would be fulfilling to me. I went into teaching the first time knowing full well what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I knew I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. But, I have also known for a long time that being a kindergarten teacher was not my final career. I was getting burnt out on teaching and I'm not sure I'd be that much more effective if I went back. Don't get me wrong I could go back to teaching if it motivated me. I could be a teacher again and be good at it, but I'm not sure it's what is best for my next path. I want a more flexible job. I want to be able to go on the boys field trips. I want to be able to go to their holiday parties. If I have my own class, it will be a lot harder to be able to do those things with my sons.

I know I have a few more years before I have to totally decide what I want to do. But, at the same time I think I need to find a focus so I can discover what I need to know to change this career path. What do I need to know to be successful on my next adventure?

I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I hear ya Lori! Those are all wonderful ideas! If I went back to work I have no idea what I would want to do.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling the same way with my littlest one going to kindergarten in the fall. I love the idea of working with kids in the hospitals or shelters. I didn't even think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ask myself this question allllll the time. My hubby and I talked about the professor thing just the other day because the girls could get huge breaks on tuition. I like the hospital idea, I hadn't thought of that one. Enjoy the search for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that they're all great ideas. Not only are teachers needed at the hospital, but for children that are homebound for various reasons. I know where I am, these teachers (and the ones in the hospitals) are actually employed through the public school system and not through the hospital. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of working with kids in the hospital!! =) sounds so rewarding... (hard and sad maybe... but rewarding!) funny how life changes us and our plans change after being mommy's... wonder what I will be when I grow up! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!