Cranberry-Orange Struesel Bars

Photobucket

I love to try out new recipes no matter if they are ones I created in my head, ones I found on-line or in a  cookbook. Over the years, I have tried recipes from a lot of chefs, one who seems to match my cooking style is Rachael Ray. As a mother, you've got to appreciate the concept of a 30 Minute Meal! Rachael Ray often says that her recipes are just methods. She encourages her viewers to take her recipes and make them their own. I "Lori-ize" almost everything I cook, tailoring the recipe to my families taste. I decided to combine these two ideas and what you see here is the result. Each week I'll create a meal based on a recipe and let you know what we thought. I will give you the original recipe and let you know how I "Lori-ized" it.  Hope you enjoy Tasty Tuesday!

Photobucket

I am bringing desert to my in-laws for Thanksgiving and came across a recipe for Cranberry-Orange Streusel Bars by Bobby Flay in Good Housekeeping Magazine. I decided to give it a try since well... cranberry screams turkey day to me. 

Photobucket

I followed this recipe exactly.  I actually made two batches since fresh cranberries were on sale buy one get one free.  And I had a bit of help to do the prep work.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket


These came our really good.  We cut into the batch that Richard took to work today and each tried a piece.  There wasn't a strong orange taste, but it did cut the tart of the cranberry.  You certainly got that fresh cranberry taste.  I also liked the butter-ness of the crust and the way it mixed with the taste of the cranberry.

Photobucket

I think that if I make this again I would use orange juice instead of fresh squeezed juice to give it more or an orange punch or maybe use the juice and zest of 2 oranges?


Hope you have a great Turkey day!



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...those look yummy. I love anything struesel! I think the orange zest would be nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fabulous and I love Cranberry anything. Hope you have a great thanksgiving.
    Reading your last post...have any ideas for a 5 year old going through the terrible 2's again? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. those do look awesome! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish! Can't wait to peek at recipe and make it!! ;) Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your little bakers. That's Lori'ized enough.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some wife somewhere will be lucky to get your boys someday. Think of all the help they'll be in the kitchen. You are making them great chefs!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!