Frosted Peanut Butter Fingers

Photobucket


Photobucket
Every once in a blue moon someone will give me a subscription to a food magazine for Christmas or something. I never keep the whole magazine because well who has space to store them? But, I do go through and cut out the recipes I like. I was looking for a desert for Richard to bring to his fantasty football draft and pulled out the recipe for Frosted Peanut Butter Fingers, which came out of Quick Cooking back in the Sept/Oct 2001 issue. Guess I've had that recipe for a while.

Frosted Peanut Butter Fingers Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter, divided
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 to 8 tablespoons milk

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 cup peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
  • Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack, about 12 minutes. Spread with remaining peanut butter. Cool completely.
  • In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over peanut butter. Cut into bars. Yield: about 3 dozen.

Photobucket
I made these in a 9x13 pan since I didn't have a 15x10.  I figured they would just be thicker.  I used 1 c. of smooth peanut butter in the mix and the other 1.5 c. I used chunky, although I think I used more than that and it was not as thick as they show in the picture. 

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket
As you can see in the picture, I used tooooo much milk in the chocolate topping and it was a gooey mess, oops!  They were good.  They reminded me a lot of no bake cookies, also called boiled cookies I think.

Photobucket
If I make them again, I will certainly make the chocolate a LOT thicker.  I would also put the chunky peanut butter in both the bar and the peanut butter layer and probably put more peanut butter on the layer to make it more pronounced.  You could probably cut the cookie layer in half and it would work too, or I guess bake it in the right pan?

Photobucket

3 comments:

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!