cheddar-garic oven fried chicken

Photobucket


Photobucket




We are trying to convice Colby to eat more meat.  He is venturing into chicken so I was looking for a new chicken nugget recipe.  I found one for Cheddar-Garlic Oven Fried Chicken breast and thought hey that sounds yummy.  So we tested it out.

Kittencal's Moist Cheddar-Garlic Oven Fried Chicken Breast

By Kittencalskitchen on January 26, 2004
761 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 1 hrs
  • Servings: 4

Ingredients

    • 13; cup butter, melted
    • 2 tablespoons minced garlic ( can use more or less)
    • 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided ( garlic lovers can use more)
    • ½ teaspoon seasoning salt ( or can use white salt)
    • ¾ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs ( seasoned or plain)
    • ½ cup finely grated cheddar cheese
    • ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper ( or to taste)
    • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • shredded cheddar cheese ( optional and use any amount desired, or can use shredded mozzarella cheese)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Butter an 11 x 7-inch pan (if using more than 4 breasts use a larger pan).
  3. In a bowl, combine melted butter with fresh minced garlic, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and salt.
  4. In another bowl, combine the dry breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon garlic powder and coarse ground black pepper.
  5. Dip chicken in butter mixture; then in crumb mixture.
  6. Place in prepared pan and bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until cooked through, larger breasts may take more time (placing the chicken on a rack in a pan will produce an extra crispy crust).
  7. Top with shredded cheddar or mozzarella the last 5 minutes of cooking (this is only optional.)
 PhotobucketI used 2 chicken breasts and cut them into nugget size pieces.  I ran out of the butter mixture before I was done, so I added an egg.   I did bake them on the cooling rack on top of my cookie sheet which I covered in tin foil.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
The boys both liked these nuggets, Blake ate more of them than me.   Colby ate them too, which is a good thing.  They were moist and the breading had a good texture.  Richard and I both felt it really could have used more garlic.  I used the fine shredded cheddar, but most of it didn't make it on the chicken so there wasn't much cheese flavor and I forgot to add more at the end of the baking time.

Photobucket
I will probably make these again.  I will just use egg instead of melted butter as the binder.  I think I'd rather put the fresh garlic into the breading mixture instead of the egg as I don't think it really stuck to the chicken at all.  I will also buy a block of cheddar and fine grate it myself into smaller pieces.


Photobucket

1 comment:

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!