don't parent like me

If you ask me what kind of parent I am, I'd say a loving one.  But, many people (including my sons at time) would say I'm a mean parent.  I am a parent.  I am not my children's friend.  I parent in a way that I feel is best for my sons.  My husband and I are on the same page about a lot of things, but we too parent differently.  And, if you ask me... that is a good thing!

So what makes me a mean parent to some?  My sons have a bedtime, and one that many would say is too early.  We maintain bedtime year round in my house.  The boys start bedtime around 6:45 and lights out is usually 7:30pm.  Now that does not mean that they never stay up late, but if we are home at that time, they are in bed.

I limit the amount of screen time my children get AND what they can do.  During the school year, the boys only get screen time if needed for school work.  On the weekend, we try to limit it to about 1 hour a day.  And yes, I mean screen time that is both tv and internet based technology.  My boys watch a lot of sports, they have never seen a pg13 movie, The games they play have to be approved by my husband or I.

 My children are expected to do chores without getting paid (I do pay them for bonus chores).  In the summer they have increased chores that they get paid for, but during the school year they do not get paid.

My children have to save money to buy things they want.  They do not expect to get things when we go to the store, but they hardly ever do.  I keep an accounting of the money they earn through their summer chores and they can spend that as well as tooth fairy money and money they get for holidays/birthdays.

So why so strict?  Why not give in time to time?  It's not who I am.  It's not how I parent.  Is it the right way to parent... for my family yes.  For your family it may not.  I so often see parents compare themselves to other parents.  I don't.  I don't care how you choose to parent, unless how you parent interferes with the development of my children... why should I care?  You choose what works best for you, you choose what works best for your children.  You don't have to parent like me, but don't judge me for how I choose to parent... and I won't judge you.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!