Caught you being good

As a kindergarten teacher, I did not reward children for doing what they were supposed to do. I came across too many children who were rewarded at home for doing the littlest things that they should be doing anyway, so then when they came to school they expected the same thing. I did go out of my way to acknowledge and occasionally reward the children who went above and beyond to help a friend, do something for the classroom or other things that they were not expected to do. Often times I would just jot a note that said "I was caught being helpful today", which they could then bring home and share with their families.

With Blake I have found that the more I praise him the more he is willing to do. I still do not make a big deal out of doing the things I expect him to do without reminders. But, I will praise him if it is a new skill that he still needs to be reminded to do. I especially go out of my way to praise him when he interacts gently with Colby.

Children need praise... children need encouragement, but children also need to learn to do things because they are expected to do them, AND they need to learn to be happy for themselves for doing the right thing.

I feel that Blake will learn to self-motivate because he is praised, but not over praised. And, yes I will do the same thing with Colby!

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. If/when I become a teacher (a few years down the road), that was/is always my plan. However, my students will be high schoolers so a note probably won't be cool enough for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way too.. Being a Kindergarten teacher I don't reward them for doing what they should either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I agree...we are always praising Tate for the good things he does...and he knows it...because he does them again and again then!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always so on the mark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes sense to me. Kinda like when Esme started walking, we applauded every step - and now there's no more applause, because we're applauding the next milestone of climbing ladders (not really, but you know what I mean) . . .

    So she will continue to get praise as a reward, but for different things as she learns more. And definitely when she is helpful or kind.

    I hate it when kids expect constant applause for something they learned how to do months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a good idea! I try to be careful not to overpraise Bean but sometimes I am guilty!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!