Chicken and Corn Chili Stoup

Photobucket


Photobucket

I found this recipe in Family Circle, back in the February issue, but am just trying it now.  I have a folder in the drawer with my cookbooks of recipes I cut out to try later.  Since we had a cool front I decided it was time to try out a new "Stoup" recipe.  This recipe is Chicken & Corn Chili soup. (Note it was a soup, but I'm making a Stoup)

Chicken & Corn Chili Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 green bell pepper cored and chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 bx frozen corn, thawed
2 cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
shredded cheddar cheese

--Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.  Add onion and green pepper.  Cook, stirring 5 min. Stir in cumin, coriander and chili powder; cook 1 min

-- Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes.  Bring to a simmer.  Add chicken. cover and simmer over low heat for 10 min or until chicken is cooked through

-- Stir in corn, beans and salt into pot.  Heat through.  Spoon into bowls and top with cheese


 Photobucket
I added chopped carrots and a jalepeno.  I used RoTel chopped tomatos with chili's and did not drain the can.  I also increased the cumin (apx 2 tsp) and chili powder (apx 1.5 Tbps).  I did not use corriander, but instead added paprika (apx 1 tsp), garlic powder (apx 1 Tbsp) and ground red pepper (apx 1/2 tsp).

I used a little less than 1/2 a box of stock in a box.

I grilled the chicken breasts ahead of time and just added it to the stoup towards the end of the cooking time

I also omitted the beans (I'm not a bean fan)

Photobucket
  Photobucket



Photobucket

This was really tasty.  It needed more heat in my opinion, but if you follow my blog you know we like heat!  I loved the heartiness of it.  Richard wasn't a fan of the carrots, but I liked the sweetness.  He isn't a fan of cooked carrots.  We ended up serving it with tortilla chips, which added another layer of crunch and salt.


Photobucket

I will be making this again.  I think I will either add hot sauce, more jalapenos or get a RoTel with the habeneros to increase the heat level.  If you like just a bit of heat, you will probably really like it the way it is written.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! It looks very similar to the chicken tortilla soup I'm making tonight! YUM. I love serving it with tortilla chips on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! I may be making it next week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read the comments on my pages. Please share your thoughts and stories here!